NJ Home | Services A to Z | Departments/Agencies | FAQs
New Jersey Department of Military and Veterans Affairs
   Human Resources Office
Employee Relations » ERS FAQs



  1. How do I submit a technician for an award?
  2. Submit NJDMAVA 32 for performance awards, time off awards, on the spot awards and quality step increase.  Three consecutive appraisals must be completed for quality step increase awards and performance awards.  Attach the current appraisal to the NJDMAVA Form 32 for the performance award submission.

  3. Where do I get a CA16 authorization for treatment?
  4. CA16s are only for CA1 Traumatic Injury.  Contact HRO Employee Relations Branch for the CA16.

  5. When does my new hire go into PAA (Performance Appraisal Application)?
  6. New employees begin PAA after serving the probationary period (12 consecutive months).

  7. When can I retire voluntarily?
  8. FERS (Federal Employee Retirement System) minimum retirement age and thirty years of service.

    • FERS minimum retirement age 60 and 20 years of service.
    • FERS minimum retirement age 62 and 5 years of service.
    • FERS minimum retirement age plus and 10 years of service.

    CSRS (Civil Service Retirement Service) age 55 and 30 years of service.

  9. What military time can I buy back?
  10. All Title 10 Honorable Active Duty and Title 32 under USERRA Law that was served during federal technician tenure.

  11. When can I use donated leave?
  12. After all leave has been used.

  13. How can I accure more leave time?
  14. Submit to HRO all Title 10 orders / DD 214s with Honorable Discharge to HRO Benefits Section, HRO will calculate your service computation date.  Military time that is:

    • Less than 3 years = accure 4 hours a pay period;
    • Less than 15 years = accure 6 hours a pay period; or
    • Over 15 years = accure 8 hours a pay period.
  15. What information do I need to submit to buy back my technician TSP (Thrift Savings Plan)?
  16. The documents needed are:

    • All your leave earning statements from the start of your orders to completion of your deployment.
    • Your military orders

    Submit all these documents to the HRO benefits section along with a TSP (Thrift Savings Plan) Buyback form fill-out. Our office will then mail out the information.

  17. If I was deployed for a contingency, can I still cancel my FEHB (Federal Employees Health Benefits)?
  18. Yes, you need to fill out a SF 2810 (Notice of change in Health Benefits Enrollment) and USERRA checklist prior to deploying to let HRO know what you want accomplished.

  19.    How do I change / update my benefits?
  20. Go to www.abc.army.mil and open EBIS (Employee Benefit Information System) link on top right hand side of screen. Access site with your pin. If you do not have a pin or you are a new employee, register for site access.  Click on circle icon labeled “Transactions” then choose the benefit to open and change / update.

    For information on Dental and Vision benefits, go to www.opm.gov/insure.   To enroll for Dental and Vision benefits, use the FEDVIPS website at www.benefeds.com.   

  21.    How do I view what health carriers are available for me?
  22. Go to www.opm.gov/insure.  Click on the state you live in to view list (Non postal worker bi-weekly pay).





The Governor's Office The Department of Military and Veterans Affairs The Department of State The Department of Military and Veterans Affairs