EFFECTIVE 2/7/22: For all categories below, you must complete the required Entry-Level Driver Training (ELDT) from a provider listed on FMCSA’s Training Provider Registry.

HAZMAT endorsement - Prior to taking your knowledge test
First-time applicants for Class A, B, or C- Prior to taking your skills test
First-time applicants for any endorsement - Prior to taking your skills test
CDL upgrade- Prior to taking your skills test

Once you have received your Commercial Driver License (CDL), you may add endorsements and upgrade your license class. You may also downgrade your CDL at any time if you would like to drop to a lower class or remove an endorsement. Most commercial drivers will need to obtain at least one endorsement.





Special Requirement


Double and Triple Trailer

Needed for operators of vehicles pulling two or three trailers.

A Class A license is required to operate this type of vehicle.



Needed for operators of buses or similar vehicles used to transport passengers.

Requires a road test. Other special requirements [CDL Manual] are necessary.
Download fingerprint application [pdf].


School Bus

Needed for all school bus drivers.

Requires a road test. Drivers who hold an "S" endorsement will also have to test for a "P" endorsement–both are required to operate a school bus.
Download the S Endorsement brochure. [491k pdf].


Tank Vehicle

Needed for operators of vehicles that transport liquids or gas in bulk.



Hazardous Materials

Needed for operators of vehicles transporting hazardous materials.

Must be trained and retested every two years.
Note: Federal Requirements [152k pdf].

There is NO Endorsement for Air Brakes

Air Brakes

Needed for any vehicle equipped with air brakes.

Special road test federally required; If test is not taken and passed, an "L" restriction is added to the CDL license.



To qualify for CDL endorsements you must:

  • Be at least 18 years of age for intrastate use (within New Jersey only).
  • Be at least 21 years of age with three years driving experience for interstate use, hazardous materials, school bus, or passenger endorsements.
  • Have 20/40 vision in each eye (with or without glasses).
  • Have 70 degrees of peripheral vision in each eye.
  • Be able to recognize red, green and amber colors.

Applicants who intend to operate a school bus:

  • Are required to have a federal background check and a state criminal background investigation (available through employer or local school district).
  • Are required present the Department of Education’s Applicant Approval Employment History document. 
  • Must supply a CDL holder Self-Certification document along with a Medical Examiner's Certificate.

Applicants driving buses other than school buses for the Department of Education: