skip to main content skip to main navigation

New Jersey is a population center located between the metropolitan areas of New York City and Philadelphia.  With more and more development shrinking the habitat for wildlife, agriculture is increasingly being impacted by wildlife damage, from every type of animal, such as deer, bears and birds.

The United States Department of Agriculture Wildlife Services provides Federal leadership and expertise to resolve wildlife conflicts and create a balance that allows people and wildlife to coexist peacefully.

Below are links to guide and assist farmers and New Jersey residents encountering wildlife conflicts.

  • Controlling Canada Geese

    Egg and Nest Destruction

    Landowners may register online to addle or oil Canada goose eggs and destroy nests. Simply register on-line with the US Fish and Wildlife Service at There is no fee and applicants can register anytime after January 1of the upcoming nest and egg season.  After registering, landowners can print confirmation of their registration and immediately begin nest treatment activities. Nests and eggs may be destroyed between March 1 and June 30.  The registration must be renewed annually.  Applicants must log back into the registration website and report the number of nests and eggs treated prior to October 31 of that year.

    Hunting Seasons

    The Special September goose hunting season allows 15 geese to be taken daily, during the month of September. The regular hunting season runs between mid-November and mid-January, depending on the region of the state, and three geese may be harvested daily during the regular goose season. The Special Winter season runs from mid-January through mid-February and 5 geese may be harvested daily during the Winter season.  Check the Migratory Bird Supplement available at license agents in September, for the specific annual season dates for your region.

    State Depredation Permits

    Farmers experiencing crop damage by Canada geese, may apply for a free permit from NJ Division of Fish and Wildlife by calling 908-735-8793. This permit allows for the control of geese between May 1 and August 31.  A hunting license and firearm identification card is required for all agents listed on the permit. State permits are typically issued within two weeks.

    Federal Depredation Permits

    Farmers experiencing crop damage by geese may also apply for a federal depredation permit from the US Fish & Wildlife Service.  The application for a federal permit can be downloaded from Federal depredation permits may cost up to $100, but can be used for the control of geese throughout the year. Sub-permittees listed on the federal depredation permit need not have a hunting license or firearm identification card. It may take up to six weeks to receive a federal depredation permit. Be sure to apply early. Federal permits can be renewed annually.  The US Fish & Wildlife Service will send permitees a renewal application approximately 45 days before their existing permit expires.  Contact the US Dept. Agriculture APHIS Wildlife Services office at 908-735-5654 for more information and guidance on applying for the federal permit.

    USDA/APHIS Wildlife Services Canada Goose Information:

    Managing Canada Goose Damage

    Nest and Egg Pamphlet

    Pyrotechnics for Bird Management

    Canada Goose Egg Oiling Basics Video

    top of page

  • Rutgers Wildlife Damage Management Information

    Wildlife Damage Management Web Page

    A Canada Goose Management Resources Guide is available at local Rutgers Cooperative Extension Offices.  Click here for contact information.

    top of page

  • General USDA Wildlife Services

    USDA Animal Plant Health Inspection Service Wildlife Services New Jersey State Office Contact Information

    Protecting Agriculture

    Wildlife Services Assistance With Waterfowl

    Wildlife Services Assistance at Dairy Facilities

    Landscaping to Avoid Wildlife Conflicts

    Assisting Aquaculture

    top of page