Sedge Island Field Experience
Summer, 2012 Sessions:
June 28-July 2, and
July 30-August 3
Field Experience Flyer (pdf, 155kb)
Field Experience Slide Show (pdf, 5.5mb)
Field Experience Slide Show (ppt, 45mb)
Field Experience Slide Show (pps, 45mb)
The Sedge Island Field Experience is a summer residential program offered by NJDEP Division of Fish & Wildlife in partnership with the Conserve Wildlife Foundation of NJ. Students who will be entering grades 7-9 spend 5-days/4-nights living a conservation lifestyle at the Sedge Island Natural Resource Education Center located off Island Beach State Park in Barnegat Bay. Participants stay in the Sedge House, a renovated duck-hunting lodge equipped with a common room, enclosed porch, observation deck, 7 bunkrooms, a full kitchen and dining room.
Students will immerse themselves into the salt marsh ecosystem, while they will explore the natural and cultural history of Barnegat Bay, as well as current environmental issues affecting the bay.
During the week students will:
- Explore the estuary using kayaks, microscopes, water testing equipment, nets, and other scientific tools.
- Work with biologists gathering information about the flora and fauna of Barnegat Bay.
- Learn about the history of Barnegat Bay through fishing, crabbing, and clamming.
- Develop leadership skills helping to improve confidence in making environmentally-friendly decisions.
- Learn about sustainability and stewardship to, in turn, teach others the value of conserving New Jersey's natural resources.
After a stay at Sedge Island students will leave with a better understanding of the personal choices they face in order to make a positive impact upon their environment.
On the last day, parents are invited to join the group for lunch and to learn from the students about their week-long salt marsh experience.
Space is limited to fourteen students in each session, so applicants will go through a competitive application process.
Applications must include:
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Application cover page.
- A letter of interest explaining why you want to attend the Sedge Island Summer Field Experience. If interested in a scholarship, please include a note about how receiving a scholarship will benefit you.
- A letter of recommendation from a teacher or community leader that can attest to your character and work ethic.
Tips for Writing Your Letter of Interest
- Include your passion and enthusiasm of why you want to attend this program.
- Explain how attending one of the sessions will help further you as a young environmental leader.
- Tell us how you might take this experience back to your school, home or community.
Cost: $425, includes all meals, equipment and lodging. Scholarships are available.
Application Due Date: March 31, 2012
Notification of Acceptance: April 20, 2012
Questions or for more information contact Karen Byrne at 609-748-4347 or Karen.Byrne@dep.nj.gov.
Field Experience Application Cover Page (.doc, 55kb)
Field Experience Application Cover Page (.pdf, 57kb)