SAVE THE DATE:
JUNE 3, 2015
Barnegat Bay Blitz And Rain Barrel Challenge
April 25 Barnegat Bay Blitz Adds to Our Tradition of Success
DEP Commissioner Bob Martin, staff and the Barnegat Bay Blitz sponsors extend their sincerest thanks to all of the individuals, schools, municipalities, groups and businesses that participated in this spring's Barnegat Bay Blitz on April 25. Since Governor Christie's action plan for Barnegat Bay was announced in 2010, five successful Blitz cleanups have been conducted, resulting in the collection of thousands of pounds of litter.
This spring's Barnegat Bay Blitz occurred on a warm, sunny Friday during Earth Week and attracted almost 3,000 volunteers who participated in clean-ups at 100 locations throughout the Barnegat Bay Watershed. Blitz highlights include:
In addition, over 3,000 students and youth in the watershed participated in the 2014 Barnegat Bay Blitz Rain Barrel Challenge and participated in hands-on education about this year's theme, the bay's "harvestable food sources and recreational resources." To find our more information about the 2014/15 Rain Barrel challenge click HERE.
- The collection of 855 bags of trash and 360 bags of recyclables;
- The filling of seven 30-yard dumpsters and seventeen 3-yard bagsters;
- Commissioner Martin's announcements and report describing DEP's recent accomplishments for the Governor's Action Plan for Barnegat Bay;
- The ceremonial planting at the new living shoreline site that is part of Cattus Island County Park;
- Recognition of the 2014 Rain Barrel Challenge Winner - North Dover Elementary School; and
- Appreciation extended to the NJ Beach Buggy Association for their Superstorm Sandy recovery efforts at Island Beach State Park.
- Check out the Barnegat Bay Partnership Blitz Vlog: BBP at the Blitz May 13, 2014
Barnegat Bay Blitz Contacts:
Lynette Lurig (609) 633-1314
Katie Barnett (609) 633-0764
Barnegat Bay Blitz Team Captains
* Amanda Lotto/Crystal Pirozek/Heather Genievich/Kristen Tedesco