Survivor Outreach Services (SOS) demonstrates the Army’s commitment to Families of the Fallen and departed. SOS is a holistic and multi-agency approach to delivering services to Survivors by providing services at the garrisons and communities closest to where Families live.
SOS Coordinators Will
- Provide expertise on State and Federal survivor benefits
- Work closely with the Casualty Assistance Officer (CAO) to provide guidance and assistance to the Family in regards to benefits, entitlements and local resources.
- Arrange for estate and financial advice, when requested.
- Educate the military command, community social services and support agencies of the needs of our military Survivors.
- Form networks and support groups so Survivors will have peer support readily available.
- Connect Survivors with appropriate behavioral health support/counseling as requested.
- Coordinate with family members to organize memorial events and ceremonies.
- Supply Survivors with resource referrals for:
- Peer Support Bereavement counseling
- Financial services
- Military legal assistance
- Educational benefits
- Obtaining reports VA Benefits Assistance: (DIC, SS, DG, SBP, SGLI, FSGLI)
Survivor Outreach Services are free, anonymous, and confidential
Evening and weekend appointments available
Privacy and Disclosure: New Jersey National Guard Family Programs respects your right to privacy; however, the staff members DO NOT have privileged communication. New Jersey State Family Programs Staff is required by law, with or without your consent, to contact proper authorities if they believe you intend to harm yourself or others or if family member abuse, child neglect or drug use is suspected.