INSURANCE COMPANY INQUIRIES
- 1. If you are an insurance company inquiring as to whether the State of New Jersey will be
presenting a claim for damages caused by your insured, please follow the steps below:
A. For roadway damage: Please check Box #99 at the top left hand corner of the police report for guidance(Box 4 in old version of Report). Codes 1-4 in boxes #4 and #99 would indicate State jurisdiction.
B. Accidents on the Garden State Parkway, New Jersey Turnpike or the Atlantic City
Expressway are not handled by this office:
- For Parkway/Turnpike damage, contact the: New Jersey Turnpike Authority
- Accidents on the Atlantic City Expressway, contact the: South Jersey
Transportation Authority (609) 965-6060 www.sjta.com
C. After determining whether the State is involved, please fax or mail the police report,
along with a letter with all of your contact information (name of your insured/driver,
claim number, fax, email, etc.,) to the address below.
Division of Risk Management
Attn: Subrogation Unit
P.O. Box 620
Trenton, New Jersey 08625
Telephone: (609) 292-4347
Fax: (609) 984-8486
- Please diary your case for 60 days, especially for road claims. You may follow-
up by calling (609) 292-4347.
2. If you are an insurance company looking to file a claim against the State of New Jersey
based on your belief that a State employee, agency or department caused property
damage or bodily injury to your insured, be advised as follows:
- Under N.J.S.A 59:9-2, insurance companies are prohibited from subrogating
against the State, in an effort to limit the liability exposure of public entities.
- Your insured can, however, submit a claim for reimbursement of their deductible
and other costs expenses not otherwise covered by the insurance policy, by
filling out the attached claim form.