The Center for Health Statistics maintains mortality data for all causes of death. The source of the data is death certificates.
All other COVID-19 data are available from the links to the right. >>
- Use NJSHAD to create custom tabulations of New Jersey resident death certificate data.
- Filter and display death counts by month, day, cause, or place of death; demographic characteristics; and county or municipality of residence.
- Data updated monthly.
- Data tables and graph of monthly total death counts by county of residence for each year.
- Tables of leading causes of death by age, race/ethnicity, sex, nativity, place and month of death, and county of residence.
- COVID was New Jersey's 2nd leading cause of death overall in 2020.
- COVID was the leading (#1) cause of death in 2020 among New Jersey's
- Black, Hispanic, Asian, and foreign-born (of any race/ethnicity) residents;
- Residents who died as hospital inpatients;
- Residents who died in April, May, and December; and
- Residents of Bergen, Essex, Hudson, Passaic, and Union Counties.
- Leading causes of death in other years for comparison: 2000-2021
- Graph of daily death counts due to COVID-19 and other causes of death for 2020 compared to average daily death counts for 2015-2019.
- Average daily death count in the last few years due to selected causes of death.
- Use to compare daily COVID-19 death counts to the typical number of daily deaths from heart disease, cancer, car crashes, influenza, and other causes of death.
ALL MEDIA INQUIRIES: For the fastest service, fill out the Media Intake Form.