My Work Rights

Service Employees

Woman in apron smiling while standing outside cafe

If you are covered under the New Jersey Service Employee Retention Law (P.L. 2023, c. 128.), you have the following rights:

  • When your employer loses a service contract, you have the right, with certain exceptions, to be hired by the successor to the service contract for the first 60 days that it begins to provide services at your current worksite.
  • During this 60-day period, you cannot be fired without just cause.

The New Jersey Service Employee Retention Law is viewable pending publication here.

woman at a computer in her kitchen

File a wage complaint | Presentar un reclamo de salario

If you believe that your employer has not properly paid you, or you have a complaint against an employer for violating a NJ Labor Law enforced by Wage & Hour, file a wage complaint:

To file anonymously, file by mail or fax. Write “ANONYMOUS” in the name section of the complaint form and leave address blank. You won’t receive information about your complaint or be able to check its status.

NJDOL does not ask about citizenship and serves all workers regardless of their immigration status. NJDOL will not share any information, including with immigration agencies, unless required by law or regulations.

For more information, download our brochure that explains the process for filing a wage complaint.

If you are not sure whether the Division of Wage & Hour Compliance will be able to help you with your complaint, email us for help.