Provider-Managed Housing

At the time the need for a residential placement becomes necessary, a case manager or Support Coordinator can explore residential options with the individual. Individuals may decide to live in the community and rent from a private landlord. In addition, the Department of Human Services’ Office of Licensing (OOL) licenses certain residential programs to ensure that providers meet quality standards. 

Group homes and supervised apartments are licensed under N.J.A.C. 10:44A Standards for Community Residences for Individuals with Developmental Disabilities. These are settings leased or owned by the service provider. Individuals who live in this kind of setting receive supervision, training, and/or assistance based on their individual needs.

Individuals living in a provider-managed setting may be charged an additional payment by the provider to cover certain room and board costs, which is explained further in the Guidance on Individual Funds Charged by Residential Providers. The provider and individual (or guardian) will sign a residency agreement or lease, which should identify the individual’s contribution and payments and outline the rights and responsibilities of both.


Community Care Residences are settings in which an individual lives as part of the family of a caretaker and receives assistance from that person on a daily basis. They are licensed under N.J.A.C. 10:44B Standards for Community Care Residences.