Route 46 eastbound lane and ramp closures this week in Passaic County
Daytime and overnight closures required for utility work
(Trenton) - New Jersey Department of Transportation (NJDOT) officials today announced overnight lane and ramp closures on Route 46, and the daytime closure of northbound traffic on Rifle Camp Road this week, as the Route 3/Route 46 Improvement Project advances in Passaic County.
Each night beginning Tuesday, August 2 and continuing through Saturday morning, from 9 p.m. until 5 a.m., August 6, NJDOT’s contractor, J.F. Creamer & Sanzari, is scheduled to temporarily close the right lane on Route 46 eastbound between Valley Road in Clifton and Rifle Camp Road; as well as the ramp from Route 46 eastbound to Clove Road; and the ramp from Clove Road to Route 46 eastbound in Woodland Park for utility work.
In addition, starting at 7 a.m. until 3:30 p.m., each weekday beginning Wednesday, August 3 and continuing through Friday, August 5, NJDOT’s contractor, J.F. Creamer & Sanzari, is scheduled to temporarily close northbound traffic on Rifle Camp Road in Woodland Park for utility work.
The following signed ramp detours will be in place weeknights from 9 p.m. until 6 a.m. the next morning beginning Tuesday, August 2 until Saturday morning, August 6:
Route 46 eastbound ramp to Clove Road detour:
• Motorists wishing to gain access to Clove Road from Route 46 eastbound will be directed to Valley Road to Normal Avenue
• From Normal Avenue motorists can make a right onto Upper Mountain Avenue/Long Hill Road then bear right onto Clove Road
Clove Road ramp to Route 46 eastbound detour:
• Motorists on Clove Road wishing to gain access to Route 46 eastbound will be directed to make a right onto the Clove Access Road
• From the Clove Access Road, make a left onto Oak Hill Road, and another left onto Route 46 eastbound
The following signed detour will be in place weekdays from 7 a.m. until 3:30 p.m. Wednesday, August 3 through Friday, August 5:
Rifle Camp Road northbound detour:
• Motorists on Rifle Camp Road wishing to travel northbound will be directed to use Lackawanna Avenue
• From Lackawanna Avenue, motorists will make a right onto Mount Pleasant Avenue
• From Mount Pleasant Avenue, motorists will make another right onto Overmount Avenue
• Motorists will follow Overmount Avenue back onto Rifle Camp Road
The $40.8 million federally-funded Contract A portion of the Route 3, Route 46, Valley Road and Notch/Rifle Camp Road Interchange Improvements project, which started construction in January 2016, includes the construction of a new two-way service road, three signalized intersections, and two single-lane roundabouts parallel to Route 46 westbound to remove local traffic from the state highway. The project is being accomplished with two contracts, and is expected to be completed in fall 2022.
Variable message signs are being utilized throughout the project limits to provide advance notification to motorists of all traffic pattern changes associated with the interchange improvements project. Throughout the project, NJDOT will provide information before upcoming road or ramp closures.
The precise timing of the work is subject to change due to weather or other factors. Motorists are encouraged to check NJDOT's traffic information website www.511nj.org for real-time travel information and for NJDOT news follow us on Twitter @NJDOT_info.