My Work Rights

Retaliation Protections

woman looking pensive

Retaliation occurs when an employer penalizes an employee for asserting their workplace rights. To assert your rights, it can be as simple as privately speaking with human resources about how you are being treated, or it can be as strong as filing a complaint in court against your employer. You have a right to learn about your rights, to question how those rights are applied to you, to report violations of those rights, and to demand those rights without interference from your employer in asserting those rights.

woman at a computer in her kitchen

How to report retaliation

If you believe you have been retaliated against and would like to file a complaint or seek further information you can contact the Department at:

NJ Division of Wage & Hour Compliance
PO Box 389
Trenton, NJ 08625-0389
(609) 292-2305

You can also file a wage and hour complaint:
More resources and information