NJ Home   Services A to Z   Departments/Agencies FAQs
Great Seal of the State of New Jersey
NJDOT Site Index  |  Search: NJ Home   NJDOT
Great Seal of the State of New Jersey

news release

P.O. Box 600
Trenton, NJ

Contact: Tim Greeley

RELEASE October 14, 2009


NJDOT announces nearly $104 million in
transportation grants to New Jersey municipalities

Increase of $25 million in local aid will fund
street improvement projects and relieve property taxes

(Englewood) - NJDOT Commissioner Stephen Dilts today announced $103.75 million in Municipal Aid grants (pdf 99k) that provide property tax relief and create jobs by directly funding street improvement and safety projects in 457 New Jersey municipalities.

NJDOT's Fiscal Year 2010 Capital Program provides an additional $25 million in municipal aid, 31 percent more than the $78.75 million provided in FY 2009.  

"The $25 million increase in the FY 2010 grants allows this important infrastructure program to benefit 87 more municipalities throughout the state than last year," Governor Corzine said. "This additional infrastructure work benefits communities through enhanced street improvements and safety projects while creating and retaining more jobs for New Jersey's hardworking families."  

"Every dollar in municipal aid is a dollar that doesn't have to come from residents' property taxes," said NJDOT Commissioner Dilts. "These are projects that otherwise would add to the local tax bill, or perhaps have to be postponed for lack of funds," he said.

Dilts was joined by state Senator Loretta Weinberg, Assemblywoman Valerie Vainieri Huttle, Assemblyman Gordon Johnson and other officials in Englewood (Bergen County) today as they announced the expanded aid program.

"This grant program provides vital resources to cities and towns across the state to help keep streets in good repair, and the direct aid benefits taxpayers," Senator Weinberg said.

"Governor Corzine's efforts to increase this program, despite a very tight state budget, shows that his priorities are in sync with those of New Jersey residents," Assemblywoman Vainieri Huttle said.

"Good roads are vital to the mobility and safety of New Jersey motorists, so I applaud the governor for bolstering this program with added funding," Assemblyman Johnson said.

Englewood will receive a $200,000 grant to reconstruct pavement, install drainage, and construct a sidewalk on South Woodland Street, a busy artery in the community that serves two local schools.

"Englewood takes pride in its beauty," said Englewood Mayor Michael Wildes. "We are proud of our Governor and Commissioner for delivering much-needed resources and improvements to our city. Thank you from a grateful city for producing quality support and governance in these challenging economic times."

Municipal Aid grants provide funding to municipalities that otherwise would devote local tax revenue to road improvements. Municipal governments maintain over 29,000 miles, or approximately 78 percent, of New Jersey 's 36,000 miles of roadway. Local property taxes seldom provide sufficient funds for proper roadway repair and maintenance.  

NJDOT invites municipalities to apply for Municipal Aid funding each spring. The grant program covers a variety of projects, including road resurfacing, rehabilitation, reconstruction and signalization. NJDOT also encourages municipalities to apply for funding for projects that support pedestrian safety through Governor Corzine's Pedestrian Safety Initiative. Bikeway and streetscape projects are eligible as well. 

The Municipal Aid program is directly funded by the Transportation Trust Fund (TTF). NJDOT was able to increase the municipal aid awards through the strategic reallocation of existing TTF funds.

NJDOT allots each county a specific funding amount based on population and municipal road mileage. It distributes funds to towns through a competitive process based on field investigations, engineering evaluations, and assessments of proposed projects. NJDOT provides 75 percent of the grant amount when the contract is awarded and the remaining 25 percent upon project completion.  
Go to NJDOT home page Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Legal Statement | Accessibility Statement  Go to State of New Jersey home page
  department: home | about | NJ commuter | in the works | business | engineering | freight, air & water | capital | community | data | links | index
  statewide: NJ Home | about NJ | business | government | state services A to Z | departments

  Copyright © State of New Jersey, 2002-2020
  Department of Transportation
  P.O. Box 600
  Trenton, NJ 08625-0600
OPRA - open public records act

  Last Updated:  October 14, 2009