Further round of Route 70 overnight closures
scheduled in Lakewood
Construction on Garden State Parkway bridges
over state highway to require detours
(Trenton) - NJDOT and New Jersey Turnpike Authority (NJTA) officials today announced another series of overnight closures of Route 70 in each direction underneath the Garden State Parkway (at Interchange 88) this week in Lakewood. The overnight closures - similar to those enacted last month - are necessary to accommodate the placement of steel beams being installed for the new GSP bridges being built over the state highway at this location.
On Tuesday night, October 22, NJTA’s contractor, Earle Asphalt Company, is scheduled to close all lanes of Route 70 westbound from 7 p.m. until around 6 a.m. the following morning.
• Route 70 westbound motorists will be directed to use Cedar Bridge Avenue (in Brick) to New Hampshire Avenue back to Route 70 westbound
• Local access will be maintained on Route 70 westbound up to Shorrock Street.
• One eastbound travel lane will be maintained Tuesday night
On Wednesday night, October 23, the contractor is scheduled to close all lanes of Route 70 eastbound from 7 p.m. until around 6 a.m. the following morning.
• Route 70 eastbound motorists will be directed to use New Hampshire Avenue to Cedar Bridge Avenue back to Route 70 eastbound
• Local access will be maintained on Route 70 eastbound up to the U-turn near Airport Road.
• All westbound lanes will be maintained Wednesday night
The contractor has also scheduled a similar round of closures on the nights of Monday, October 28 and Tuesday, October 29, for the continuation of the steel structure installation.
The NJTA is reconstructing the bridges over Route 70 as part of a $70 million contract to widen the GSP to restore full roadway shoulders between milepost 83 and milepost 90 in Ocean County. Construction began at the bridges over Route 70 in February and is expected to be completed by the end of 2014.
The precise timing of the work is subject to change due to weather or other factors. Dynamic Message Signs (DMS) are being utilized to provide motorists with advance notification of the closures and the detour route. Motorists are encouraged to check NJDOT’s traffic information website www.511nj.org for construction updates and real-time travel information.