to top

Division of Taxation

EWN Notice Additional Information

Why did I receive this letter?
You must send us the requested information so we can process your tax return and issue a refund. It's our job to verify the accuracy of tax returns, and getting supporting documents from you is one way we verify your income or withholding information.

Is there something wrong with my return?
When you receive a letter from us, it doesn't mean you or your tax preparer did anything wrong. We simply need more information. But to check if you may have made a mistake, read about Common Filing Mistakes.

Can I resolve this letter over the phone?
No. We need you to send us supporting documentation. However, we understand you may have questions or concerns. If so, contact us at (609) 943-5000. Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and Wednesday from 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.

Can I fax or email my documents?
No. In order to protect your privacy, you cannot fax or email your documents.

Why do you need a copy of my tax return?
We need a copy of your tax return to make sure your information was processed correctly. Since returns are processed at another facility, the fastest way to speed up our review is to send us a copy. This helps get your refund approved faster.

Why do you need my W-2 statements?
Depending on how you file your taxes, we don't always receive your W-2s. Electronically filed returns generally do not include attachments. You may have entered the data from your W-2 on an electronic return, but we still need to confirm the information is correct. If you filed a paper return, there may be a problem reading the documents you sent. We simply need to verify the wage and/or withholding amounts. Sometimes the fastest way to process your refund is to ask for the supporting documents from you.

What if I don't have my W-2?
We won't be able to process your refund without your W-2 or other supporting documentation. If you haven't received your W-2, or misplaced it, visit I need my W-2 for help.

What is a Form 1099?
A Form 1099 is used to report different types of income you may receive throughout the year. The income most commonly reported on this form is from a retirement plan.

What is Part II "Allocation of Wage and Salary Income Earned Partly Inside and Outside New Jersey?"
If you are a nonresident who earned part of your wages in New Jersey but your employer issued you a W-2 showing all of your wages earned in the state, your tax return should include Part II "Allocation of Wage and Salary Income Earned Partly Inside and Outside New Jersey."

You can find more information in the New Jersey Nonresident Return (NJ-1040NR) instructions .

What is a Schedule NJK-1?
Schedule NJK-1 shows your share of income/loss from a partnership, S-corporation, trust, or estate. It also shows any tax withheld or paid on your behalf.

If you only received a Federal Schedule K-1, you must send us the Schedule K-1 and the Reconciliation Worksheet A. You can find more information in Tax Topic Bulletin GIT-9P Income from Partnerships .

What is a NJ-165?
If you are a nonresident spouse of a military servicemember, you may have given your New Jersey employer Form NJ-165 Employee's Certificate of Non-Residence in New Jersey to stop withholding New Jersey Income Tax.

You can find more information about military spouses by visiting Nonmilitary Spouses/Civil Union Partners of Military Personnel.

What if I wasn't a Pennsylvania resident for the entire year?
You can sign the statement if you were a Pennsylvania resident while earning wages in New Jersey at any time during the year.

When can I check the status of my refund?
We will work quickly to review and process your documents. You can check the status of your refund after the 90 day review period is over.

If you need to confirm that we have received your documents, we recommend using our New Jersey Online Notice Response Service (NJ ONRS) or visiting one of our Regional Information Centers.

What if I don't respond?
If you don't provide the information the letter requested, we won't be able to process your refund. It's important that you respond with the needed documents.

Last Updated: Monday, 09/27/21