to top

Division of Taxation

Wage Adjustment (W2) – Additional Information

What information was adjusted?

We adjusted the amount of your wages, salaries, tips, or other employee compensation based on information we received from your employer(s).

Why did you make this adjustment?

There are two common reasons why your wages may have been adjusted:

  • Federal wages from Box 1 of your W-2 were reported instead of New Jersey state wages from box 16. If this is the case, the adjustment is correct.
  • Your employer sent you a corrected W-2 form called a W-2C after you filed your return. Upload or mail us a copy of your W2-C along with a copy of your notice so we can correct your account accordingly.

I do not agree with your adjustment, can this be resolved over the phone?

No. If you do not agree with the adjustment, documentation must be submitted and reviewed. You may upload (Box 445) a copy of the original notice along with the following documents:

  • Copies of W-2 Forms or corrected W-2 Forms (W-2C) from your employer;
  • Any other documents that support your claim.

Can I mail my documents instead of uploading them?

Yes. You can mail your items to:

  • New Jersey Division of Taxation
    ATTN: TDW-W2
    PO Box 445
    Trenton, NJ 08695-0445

What if I lost my W-2?

Contact the issuer for a copy.

I had multiple jobs, do you need all my W-2's?

Yes, submit all W-2's.

Do you need my spouse's information too?

If you filed Married Filing Joint (MFJ) submit copies of all W-2 information for both you and your spouse on the return.

What if I do not respond?

It is important that you respond with the needed documents. If you do not provide the requested information, or pay any amount due, we will pursue collection action.

How will I know if this matter is resolved?

Once your documentation is submitted and reviewed, we will send you a letter explaining our determination.

Need a Payment Plan?

If you cannot pay your taxes in full, you may qualify for payment plan.

Last Updated: Monday, 01/31/22