Frequently Asked Questions [FAQs]

Home > Parents Issues

Parents Issues

What state agency oversees child care centers?

The Department of Children and Families licenses and regulates child care centers in New Jersey. Child care centers serving six or more children under the age of 13 arerequired by State law to be licensed.

Where can I find information on adoption?

NJ Adopt has information about adopting a child in New Jersey.

How do I find information on becoming a foster parent?

NJ Fostercare has information about becoming a foster parent in New Jersey.

How can I get payment information on child support?

Child support payment information can be accessed online.

What state agency deals with child support?

The Office of Child Support within the Department of Human Services deals with child support.

How do I obtain a birth, marriage, or death certificate?

Information about where to obtain copies of New Jersey vital records, such as birth, death or marriage certificates, is available at the Vital Records Information Web page. Applications for certified copies of vital records can be downloaded in pdf or Word formats from the Department of Health.

Where can I find information on low-cost health insurance for my children and myself?

NJ FamilyCare provides information that will help you determine whether you qualify for low-cost or no-cost health insurance. You can also fill out an online application or view frequently asked questions.

Who oversees the Division of Youth and Family Services (DYFS)?

Child Protection and Permanency, CP&P (formerly the Division of Youth and Family Services, DYFS), is New Jersey's child protection and child welfare agency within the Department of Children and Families.

How can I find a list of registered sex offenders in the state of New Jersey?

New Jersey law authorizes the Division of State Police to make available on the Internet information about certain sex offenders required to register under Megan's Law.

How do I report child abuse?

To report child abuse in New Jersey, call 1-877 NJ ABUSE (TDD/hearing impaired: 800-835-5510). Find more information about how and when to report child abuse/neglect.