Division of Unemployment Insurance URL reading ( My Unemployment . NJ . Gov )

Overpayments & Refunds

woman looking thoughtfully at a computer

If you receive any Unemployment Insurance benefits to which you are not entitled, you will be required to return those benefits.

If benefits were paid to you in error, you will receive a notice stating the amount you were overpaid and why you were not entitled to the benefits. You have the right to appeal the determination by following the instructions on the bottom of the form.

How to make payments

You can make an electronic payment using our online system. This service accepts both credit card and e-check payments. Some service fees may apply. Individual and recurring payments are also available.

For more information about how to repay benefits, including the Treasury Offset Program, please see our our overpayments FAQ

Requesting a waiver for CARES Act-related overpayments

Under the CARES Act, New Jersey must require individuals who received unemployment compensation (UC) to repay the amount to which they were not entitled (I.e., overpayment amount). However, NJ may waive these amounts under specific conditions.  

Eligibility criteria for waiving CARES Act-related overpayment: 

1) Overpayment was due to no fault of your own 

  • You did not falsify or withhold information that led to overpayment  
  • Each waiver request will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis

2) Repayment would be contrary to equity and good conscience 

  • Repayment would create financial hardship 
  • Recovery would be unconscionable

You can request a CARES Act-related overpayment waiver when you log in to check your claim status.